Thursday, March 12, 2009

Leprechauns and Shamrocks

St. Patrick's Day
is my favorite holiday. I love the music,
the stories, the wearin' of the green,
and hearing Irish brogues. I grew up
hearing the music of that language
from my mother who emigrated to
the states from Ireland at the age of 16.
I was taught Irish ballads, Irish step
dancing, the "Stack O' Barley" (a dance),
how to make Irish Soda Bread, and inherited a little

Blarney in the area of language and storytelling.


I grew up doodling little green shamrocks. I was taught

that St. Patrick converted the (pagan) Celts from their

sorcery by using this little wildflower that covers the

landscape with many shades of green. I, myself, came

to minimally understand that the Blessed Trinity was

three persons in one God, by looking at a shamrock.

And if St. Patrick could chase all the snakes out of

Ireland, what other super hero could a person need

in their life? Of course, there were leprechauns and

banshees, but these mythical creatures lived in the

land of faeries. And we could always search for them

at the end of the rainbow where they could find a

pot of gold. Wouldn't that be nice for all of us in

today's economy?




One story I do tell is about my own family.

I speak about how I was lucky enough to travel to

Ireland with my mother and sister, the summer I

turned 9 years old. This was my Mother's first

home visit, since her emigration to the USA,

14 years earlier. The five weeks I spent on

my grandmother's farm were simple days filled

with new sights, sounds, and smells. There were

barn animals,with all of their delights. There

was a peat stove that cooked the family meals,

and warmed the afternoon "tea". There was

even a 'wishing' well like in the story of

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I have

so many memories from that one experience.


But the one I share at this time of year, has

to do with Faith and Family. During the five weeks

I was there, my sister, Irene and I, didn't have any

toys to play with. So, my Grandmother gave us

each a tablespoon to explore with. And explore

we did! And when it was almost time to leave,

Irene and I hid our spoons and a few small

treasures in the stone wall that separated

the chicken courtyard from the path to the

outer property where the larger animals grazed.

We did not mention this to my Grandmother,

at the time. I was nine, and Irene was seven

years old when we left Ireland.


When I was eighteen, my Grandparents came

to this country for a month long visit, and I was

able to visit with them, for a day. My Granny

said nothing about the spoons. So I asked if

she had ever found them. "No" she said.


Then, when I was in my early thirties, they came

again to visit. This time, Granny called me aside,

and asked me if I remembered where in the wall the

spoons were hidden. I said, "Yes!" and she told me

that she and Dody (my Grandfather) were repairing

the wall, and came across the spoons Irene and I

hid so many years before. They made the decision

to leave that part of the wall as it was, so Irene

and I could return one day to find our treasures.

I was married then, and had two small children.

I had always intended to go back.

But.......


As Granny and I were saying our goodbye's, I

remembered that she was now 86 years old. I

knew I would probably not see her anytime soon.

But she asked me to return for the spoons and

to sharea cup of tea. And I promised I would.

At the door, when we went to hug goodbye,

I noticed she was wearing a Miraculous Medal

of our Blessed Mother, with blue enamel.

Understand, this was a woman I loved,

but had only seen for a total of about forty

days in my entire lifetime! As we hugged I said,


"Oh! You love her too!"


(referencing a devotion to Mary, the Mother of God,

and the medal's promises). Granny said,


"Yes, and the next time we meet,

it will be in heaven with her,

and we will have that cup of tea!"


Within the next two years, I had another

baby, and Granny died, in Ireland, in the home

I had visited. My sister, and my Mother returned

to Ireland for the funeral. Irene went back to

find the spoons...they were there....as Granny

had promised. So, Irene left them there for me.


I am much older now, and have still not found my

way back to Ireland, but two teacher friends' were

making a vacation trip there a few years ago. I gave

them directions to "Granny's house" and the cemetery

where Granny and Dody are buried, in Connemara

Clifden, Galway. To my surprise, they actually found

their way to the house. They found the neighboring

house, where my Aunt Chrissy welcomed them, and

fed them lunch ~ and a cup of tea. Angela and Elsje

found their way to the cemetery and they visited the

graves of my beloved relatives. And while there, there

remembered the words I had been teaching Religion

Classes in an Irish song called "Danny Boy". (listen below)

With Faith, these words say it all.

Without Faith....What is there?

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Danny Boy


Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

From glen to glen, and down the mountain side

The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying

'Tis you, 'tis yo must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow

Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow

'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow

Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.


And if you come, when all the flowers are dying

And I am dead, as dead I well may be

You'll come and find the place where I am lying

And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.


And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me

And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be

If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me

I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.









3 comments:

gael lynch said...

What a great story, Diane! So when will you return for your spoons? I went to Ireland four years ago with Tom and the kids. We found our way all around County Mayo and then ventured into Galway too. I visited my mom's home, which is still the family farm, complete with cows and all! We stopped in Cliffden, and I loved it there! In fact, we stopped and poked around the shops in the town there. I found the most beautiful gold Celtic knot. Throughout the trip, Tom kept telling me to keep my eyes open for something special...and of course, that was it! How cool would it be for us to meet in Ireland one day?

Smileyblueyes said...

If I can find the photo, I have two photos of Granny and Dody. One is from that NYC visit (in my 30's). The other is from the thank you card from her funeral. But on that pix she is wearing the blue enamel Miraculous Medal. I have been digging, but haven't found it yet. I do have a pix of the cottage...I will need to add that in here.
Maybe that is something we should plan-for you and I! I think it would show our children that life is a circle and has no ending......and the shamrock just adds more winding corners to the road we each travel in life. That would be very cool, especially since I have not been back for the spoons.

John and I celebrated our 25th in Paris and Amsterdam. He wanted to go someplace neither of us had ever been to before. I loved Paris, and would return there in a heartbeat......hmmmm...How does Ireland and France sound to you? I missed St. Catherine of Laboure in Paris when I was there. She is one of the 'incorruptibles' there to be viewed. Leprechauns, Saints, Banshees, Relatives...It's all the same topic isn't it? teeheehee

Jan Hennings said...

Great blog! Thanks for hopping over to my blog :)